Translate

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Streetcars


Streetcars were once the primary means of public transportation in Tampa. I have a particular affinity for the streetcar. My Grandfather used to drive them. Streetcar service began in Tampa in 1892. The heydays of streetcars were the 1920's and 30's when over 190 cars were in service. In 1926 over 24 million passengers rode streetcars over 53 miles of track in Tampa. The streetcar died in 1946 after the war. Buses made them obsolete.

Not a great pic but this is car # 163 in service


Car 163 was found being used as a dilapidated residence


This is car 163 today...A fully restored and in service 1922 Birney streetcar. TECO runs 6 streetcars over a 3 mile track that runs from Ybor City then through downtown and on to Channelside. Chances are my Grandfather drove this car. I wish Columbus H Cleveland was alive today to go for a ride with me in this car...

2 comments: